Friday, December 12, 2014

Blog 8: Don't text and drive LOL

  I chose to comment on Mr. Navarette's " Ban texting while driving in Texas?"  article from his Lone Star Politics blog. Mr. Navarette's point of view in my eyes is a correct course of action, texting while driving should be banned. 
 I drive A LOT on a daily basis in Austin, like a shit ton and I can't begin to tell you how many times I look over and see the person next to me in the other lane texting while blazing down the highway! I am at fault as well. There are times my impulses get the best of me and I text and drive and I know how stupid it is to do it! It is not safe in any way!

 We all think "oh I pay attention, I'll be fine", but that is how accidents happen. I agree with Mr. Navarette, Texas needs to ban texting and driving ASAP. If the state passes the law and start fining peopole for the offense, then people will take it more seriously. I understand it's going to be difficult to catch citizens texting while driving, but as long as the threat is out there it will set somewhat of a small tone across the state. Unfortunalty, people, inluding myself, cannot control their impuleses even if they know it is dangerous and that is why I think the state should step in and take responsibilty. If the state declines to pass the bill, then I hope in the future, it is mandatory for all cars, to have some kind of hands free device installed. 

Hopefully, Greg Abott (not counting on it, but you never know) , once in office, will help pass this bill in the upcoming legislation. Making Texas the 45th state to ban texting and driving. 

No comments: